SafeTREC's Katherine Chen to present in CSCRS Safe Systems Summer Learning Series
The Collaborative Sciences Center for Road Safety (CSCRS) recently launched a new Safe Systems Summer Learning Series that will be held on Fridays in July and August 2021. These free, virtual events will bring together panelists with diverse perspectives to reflect on core Safe Systems concepts and the broader system in which our transportation work unfolds. For each session, moderators will guide panelists in a rich discussion about the issues.
SafeTREC is excited to share that Senior Policy & Program Analyst, Katherine Chen will be a panelist in the Friday, July 30th session. Registration is now open!
Redesigning the System to Support Safety
Friday, July 30, 2021 | 10am - 1130am PDT | Register
Breaking down silos of funding, redistributing power, supporting more authentic public engagement, and participatory approaches to community planning are essential processes for implementing Safe Systems approaches. In this session, we will hear more on how communities are doing this work, and what still stands in the way.
- Katherine Chen, Senior Policy & Program Analyst, Safe Transportation Research and Education Center (SafeTREC), University of California, Berkeley
- Steve Hoyt-McBeth, Bike Share and Transportation Demand Management Program Manager, Portland Bureau of Transportation
- Aidil Ortiz, Founder and Principal at Aidilisms LLC
- Destiny Thomas, Founder and CEO, Thrivance Group
Moderator: Becky Naumann, Core Faculty at the Injury Prevention Research Center and Assistant Research Professor of Epidemiology at UNC Chapel Hill
- July 16, 2021: Redefining Safety - watch the recording
- July 23, 2021: What Lies Beneath "Human Error"? - watch the recording
- July 30, 2021: Redesigning the System to Support Safety
- August 6, 2021: Broadening the Toolbox for Kinetic Energy Management
- August 13, 2021: Redistributing Responsibility for Safety
- August 27, 2021: Change Management Tools for Safe System Implementation