The Collaborative Sciences Center for Road Safety (CSCRS) has launched a new Safe Systems Summer Learning Series! This series of free virtual events will be held on Fridays in July and August 2021, beginning with the first session, Redefining Safety, on Friday, July 16.
In this series, CSCRS will bring together panelists with diverse perspectives to reflect on core Safe Systems concepts and the broader system in which our transportation work unfolds. For each session, moderators will guide panelists in a rich discussion about the issues.
SafeTREC is excited to share that Senior Policy & Program Analyst, Katherine Chen Guibert and Co-Director Offer Grembek will be presenting on July 30 and August 6 in the series.
Join SafeTREC at an upcoming session!
Redesigning the System to Support Safety
Friday, July 30, 2021 | 10am - 1130am PDT | Register
Breaking down silos of funding, redistributing power, supporting more authentic public engagement, and participatory approaches to community planning are essential processes for implementing Safe Systems approaches. In this session, we will hear more on how communities are doing this work, and what still stands in the way.
- Katherine Chen Guibert, Senior Policy & Program Analyst, Safe Transportation Research and Education Center (SafeTREC), University of California, Berkeley
- Steve Hoyt-McBeth, Bike Share and Transportation Demand Management Program Manager, Portland Bureau of Transportation
- Aidil Ortiz, SpiritHouse Tribe, BPAC Secretary, Co-Founder, Blackity Bikes
- Destiny Thomas, Founder and CEO, Thrivance Group
Moderator: Becky Naumann, Core Faculty at the Injury Prevention Research Center and Assistant Research Professor of Epidemiology at UNC Chapel Hill
Broadening the Toolbox for Kinetic Energy Management
Friday, August 6, 2021 | 10am -11301m PDT | Register
A core premise of Safe Systems relates to managing the kinetic energy in the system. Commonly offered solutions include piecemeal engineering treatments to manage speed at individual locations or corridors. In this session, panelists discuss more network-level approaches to managing crash forces in the system through land use policies and transportation decisions that affect core travel behaviors.
- Chris Cherry, Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- Offer Grembek, Co-Director, SafeTREC, University of California, Berkeley
Moderator: Noreen McDonald Chair and Professor of City and Regional Planning at UNC Chapel Hill
- July 16, 2021: Redefining Safety
- July 23, 2021: What Lies Beneath "Human Error"?
- July 30, 2021: Redesigning the System to Support Safety
- August 6, 2021: Broadening the Toolbox for Kinetic Energy Management
- August 13, 2021: Redistributing Responsibility for Safety
- August 27, 2021: Change Management Tools for Safe System Implementation
Visit the CSCRS website for more details about the Series, session descriptions and panelists, and how to register.