SafeTREC Co-Director Offer Grembek to present in CSCRS Safe Systems Summer Learning Series
The Collaborative Sciences Center for Road Safety (CSCRS) recently launched a new Safe Systems Summer Learning Series that will be held on Fridays in July and August 2021. These free, virtual events will bring together panelists with diverse perspectives to reflect on core Safe Systems concepts and the broader system in which our transportation work unfolds. For each session, moderators will guide panelists in a rich discussion about the issues.
SafeTREC is excited to share that Co-Director Offer Grembek will be a panelist in the Friday, August 6th session. Registration is now open!
Broadening the Toolbox for Kinetic Energy Management
Friday, August 6, 2021 | 10am - 1130am PDT | Register
A core premise of Safe Systems relates to managing the kinetic energy in the system. Commonly offered solutions include piecemeal engineering treatments to manage speed at individual locations or corridors. In this session, panelists discuss more network-level approaches to managing crash forces in the system through land use policies and transportation decisions that affect core travel behaviors.
- Chris Cherry, Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- Offer Grembek, Co-Director, SafeTREC, University of California, Berkeley
- Rebecca Sanders, Founder and Principal Investigator, Safe Streets Research
Moderator: Noreen McDonald Chair and Professor of City and Regional Planning at UNC Chapel Hill
- July 16, 2021: Redefining Safety - watch the recording
- July 23, 2021: What Lies Beneath "Human Error"? - watch the recording
- July 30, 2021: Redesigning the System to Support Safety - watch the recording
- August 6, 2021: Broadening the Toolbox for Kinetic Energy Management
- August 13, 2021: Redistributing Responsibility for Safety
- August 27, 2021: Change Management Tools for Safe System Implementation